Saturday, August 7, 2010

Peach Pies

This week I slaved in the kitchen making 14 peach pies from the peaches on our trees. I actually had 10 orders within the first 5 hours after sending out the email to everyone! I had to send another email saying NO MORE ORDERS!! I could have made more, but the storm knocked an entire garbage can full of peaches off the trees (I know because it took me an hour to clean them up!) I also accidentally picked a few not-quite-ripe peaches that are currently sitting in my fridge, as I have no idea if I can use them for anything else or not!

At $10 a pie, we made $130 (okay, I kept one of the pies or we'd have had no peaches for ourselves!) I did mess up and put a little too much flour in the pies because the peaches were SO juicy that they were destroying the dough on the first few pies. So I think a few pies towards the end may have been a little gummy. And Maggie at the park district suggested using arrowroot next time as a thickening agent instead of flour. BUT - the pie crusts were amazing. After the 2nd batch I really had pie crusts down to a science.


After I put the money from the pies in the bank, we will have hit our goal! I was so worried this summer that we wouldn't. I'm so glad that at the very end of fund raising (our goal needs to be met by Monday, August 10, though we can still fund raise after that) we had a ton of donations! I have been working my butt off making bookmarks, preparing for the Pig Roast, making pies - that there have been days I've even skipped my triathlon workouts. It's been extremely stressful for me, and I've barely done anything else in my free time. Now I can finally breathe a sigh of relief and focus on finishing my costumes for Dragon*Con. And believe me, we will not be fund raising for Team in Training again any time soon. I loved mentoring, so we'll probably stay involved through mentoring and volunteering at events. But I can't have another summer become completely consumed by fund raising.

And remember, if you want a bookmark, buy it now before the price goes up! Check them out at lynkworks.com/bookmarks

No comments:

Post a Comment